Saturday, April 22, 2017

Flame in the Mist Review (Spoiler Free)

Flame in the Mist
by Renée Ahdieh

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book through Penguin's First to Read Program.

This was the first Renée Ahdieh book I have read, and I have heard so many great things about her writing so I went in with high expectations. I was not let down! This was a wonderful story about politics, magic, and the strength of women. I also truly enjoyed Ahdieh's writing. It was so imaginative with just the right amount of mystery to keep me hooked the entire time. At first I had a really hard time connecting with the characters, but eventually they all grew on me. The novel also had a very intricate plot, so I really had to pay attention to what was happening, and all the small details and the names of everyone or I would get really confused. At first I thought this was going to be a story with no romance, but then it came out of nowhere and I completely support it! I will go down with this ship! I can't wait to see where it goes in the next book. 
Let's talk about Mariko, because she is an incredible character! I loved seeing her grow into a confident woman during a time in Japan when women were not given power and were only expected to be wives. It was so empowering and inspiring to read about such a wonderful character. I am definitely going to check out more of Ahdieh's writing in the future, because I can't wait to discover her other characters!

No comments:

Post a Comment